In 1954 the Bishop of the Roman Catholics Diocese of Davenport, Iowa, asked Venerable Mary Angeline Teresa O. Carm, to consider establishing a home to care for the elderly population of the Quad Cities. A substantial family home in Davenport had been donated to the Diocese and it was an available location. The challenge was accepted, and on March 18, 1955, Kahl Home welcomed its first residents. At the time Kahl Home had a capacity for 21 residents. As the waiting list grew, so did the need for more space. In 1963 Kahl Home expanded its facility to house 128 residents, with another renovation in 1987 to increase the number of residents to 135.
In 2012 Kahl Home finished building a state of the art facility in northeast Davenport. The facility was designed to promote community living, devote more space to rehabilitative therapy, and provide more opportunities for residents to maintain an active lifestyle. The Kahl Home can currently accommodate 135 residents, and is also Sister Pia’s first mission assignment.
You must be logged in to post a comment.